Friday Feature ~ Baby O!

So thrilled today to share a Friday Feature post from an AWESOME mommy daughter combo!! They blog together over at Intermittent Babbling Hair Thoughts, you might remember the time we had the girls do copy-cat styles of each others? Read and Enjoy!

~~*~~*~~*~~

How old is your little one?
Baby O is the big three and doesn't act a day over 25 lol
 

What is the daily hair routine?
Every morning I spray Baby O's hair with some water and comb through it before I add my homemade shea butter mix to her hair for moisture (if it's out in her not-so-baby-anymore fro). Sometimes I switch it up and use store bought moisturizers, but I always go back to my own mix because I feel it works better on her hair. At night I do the same thing. I really only wet her hair in the bath when it's time to wash it. Summer time I wash her hair once a week (or when she brings home food, dirt and the entire sandbox in her hair lol). This winter I've only been washing her hair once a month and her hair is thriving! When her hair is styled I moisturize day and night, as needed.




What is your favorite hairstyle?
Free! Baby O loves her fro, but she'll also ask for braids so she can "clack-clack" while she's running around. When I braid it up I love the pigtail cornrows that I recently got brave enough to try lol. I gave myself a goal of learning how to cornrow by the end of this last summer and I did it! I'm not the best by all means, but they're getting better :-) Oh--I also love to twist her hair...they're so versatile and absolutely adorable on Baby O!


What do you like best about her curls?
I love Baby O's curls because they're hers! They fit her perfectly and if I want to leave her hair free all I have to do is add a bow and we're done. Don't get me wrong, there are times when her curls give me a tough time, but I wouldn't trade her hair for anything in the world.



How do you keep her still while you style her hair?
I use the bribe method. I let Baby O have control of the television remote and she can watch whatever shows she wants (age appropriate of course :-)) or whatever movie she chooses from her collection. Dora fruit snacks are also always close by, too.


Do you use (or will you encourage/discourage the use of) heat and/or chemicals on your child's hair?
Nope! No chemicals in my baby girl's hair. I would prefer to leave her hair chemical free for as long as I can...which means as long as she lives in my house. I may back off and consider it when she's a teenager, but it would completely break my heart to see her natural curl pattern gone.


What is your favorite aspect of "hair time"?
I love that she pretty much has no other choice but to be with me :-)! I love that we can discuss what happened during the day and I tell her how pretty her curls are. We have our "girly" time and talk about whatever pops into her three year old mind. It relaxes me to get my fingers in her hair and mess around with it. Baby O loves when I do her hair...even if they style isn't quite the best, she doesn't care! She walks around with pride telling EVERYONE "my mama did my hair!". I love that little girl!


What is the worst hair advice you've ever received?
I was told by a stylist that I needed to put Doo Gro on Baby O's hair to get it to grow. I actually tried it, but it smelled like menthol and her daycare providers actually winced from the strong smell when I brought her to school with it on her scalp (this was before I started researching proper hair care for her, I'm new to the game and was just listening to what I was told...bad idea). I really think that is the only bad advice I've received--her daycare providers are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate all of their inputs!


If there was one thing you could say or one tip you could give a young person with curls, what would it be?
Love your curls! I hate when I see young girls spending so much time pressing their curls flat just to fit in with their friends. Be yourself and get those curls as big as you can! (I say this as a straight haired person with major curl envy lol)


If there was one thing you could say or one tip you could give to the Parents of young children with curls, what would it be?
Learn to care for your child's curls how YOU choose to care for them. If you don't know what to do, research it until you find the products and routines that are best for your child. Just because one person chooses to use only natural/homemade products doesn't mean that you should. Learn how your child's curls like to be styled--curls have their own personality and don't like to go into certain styles. Don't force the hair to do what it doesn't want to do :-)

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

I just LOVE Baby O!  and I have total curl envy, too, Mama! She's adorable and you have so many great tips for us! Thank you so much for sharing!!

If YOU would like to be featured on Curly Hairdo Ideas please send us something!

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...