My True Nature - Product Review

I found this company through a random SwagBucks search, actually by finding http://www.abesmarket.com/ - which turned out to be a pretty cool find!

My True Nature (Bath time fun beyond the rubber ducky) is a new company owned and created by a sweet, caring Mom who wanted safe and FUN products for her little ones! I was going to paraphrase her story, but she says it best - so read all about it on the website!

And so was born the characters and products behind TubbyTown! :D Right now they specialize in Bubble Bath and Baby Shampoo/Body Wash! (Keep looking for new products in the new year! I hear there will be a Conditioner added soon!!)  Bubble Bath?!?! Did I see that right?! (... that's what I thought when I first found these products.) I had never seen a natural (largely organic!) BUBBLE BATH before! I had to look further....

What the website says:

 Bobo's Natural Baby Bubble Bath

Bobo’s bubbles are the best! This pure, natural formula combines plant-based cleansers and botanicals to create mountains of big bubbles for bath-time fun and relaxation.

Organic aloe, plantago extract, and white peony tea extract nourish the skin while the cleansers gently remove germs and dirt. Mild, fresh and clean organic essential oils make the bath smell terrific! Ruse the bottle for a truly sustainable bath time experience.


Features:
    • Big, big bubbles that kids love to play with
    • All-natural and extremely mild plant-based cleansers
    • No slippery residue left on skin or tub
    • Rich in organic botanicals including aloe, plantain & white peony tea extracts, & pure essential oils
    • Not tested on animals
    • Completely free of genetically modified organisms, parabens, petrochemicals, phthalates, sulfates, synthetic dyes or fragrances, triclosan & preservatives
    • 100% recycled and reusable plastic bottle
INGREDIENTS: water (distilled), decyl glucoside (and) sodium lauroyl lactylate blend* (natural plant-based foaming & cleansing agent), aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, sodium coco-sulfate** (natural plant-based cleansing & foaming agent), plantago lanceolata (plantain) leaf extract*, camellia sinensis (white tea) extract**, leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate (natural preserving agent), guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride (guar gum), litsea cubeba fruit essential oil*, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil*, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Cymbopogon flexuosus (Lemongrass) Oil, citric acid.

*Certified organic or Ecocert product
**Derived from certified organic base product

and while I was there I thought I'd look up the shampoo, too:


Milo's Natural 2-in-1 Shampoo and Body Wash


Lather up like Milo and come out smelling like flowers! A pure and natural formula that combines gentle, organic plant-based cleansers with nourishing, calming, and moisturizing olive oil and aloe to create an all-in-one wash for babies and toddlers. This gentle wash is perfect for sensitive skin, cradle cap, or eczema and will leave your little ones soft as silk and smelling clean. Reuse the bottle for a truly sustainable bath time experience.


Features:

  • All-in-one gentle cleanser & moisturizer for face, hair and body
  • Plant-based, non-irritating cleansers, get your baby squeaky clean without irritating eyes or skin
  • Full of nourishing and calming organic botanicals including olive oil, aloe, and pure essential oils
  • Contains natural silk amino acids and panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5) to penetrate skin and hair, add essential moisture and enhance natural plumpness
  • Not tested on animals
  • Completely free of genetically modified organisms, parabens, petrochemicals, phthalates, sulfates, synthetic dyes, synthetic fragrances, triclosan or preservatives
  • 100% recycled and reusable plastic bottle

INGREDIENTS: water (distilled), disodium coco-glucoside tartrate* (natural plant-based cleansing agent non-irritating to eyes), glycerin (vegetable), sodium coco-sulfate** (natural plant-based cleansing & foaming agent), silk amino acid, panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5), olea europaea (olive) oil*, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride (guar gum), modified corn starch, leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate (natural preserving agent), citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil*, myristica fragrans (nutmeg) oil*, citric acid

*Certified organic or Ecocert product
**Derived from certified organic base product

Curly Hairdo Ideas thoughts:

In my preliminary search, based of mostly previous knowledge, I was super impressed with these ingredients! I have since studied them further - but - I'm getting ahead of myself!  I emailed asking if the company would be interested in my hosting a review.... and NOT long after, look what I got in the mail!!



Are these not just the cutest products ever?!?! I love the little characters! I love that they each have their own product! I love the little story that goes along with each one! So creative! and I just know (ok, she told me in a email) that this in only the beginning of what these characters are capable of! You haven't seen the last of them, let's just put it that way!


And Q loves the bubbles. I hadn't ever given her a bubble bath before because I'd never found one with ingredients I could handle soaking my baby in! But now we're both addicted - Q asks for bubbles all.the.time. now!  I actually had to order more because we were just using it so much and I *knew* we'd need more!  (yes I know that's an absurd use of the word "need" LOL!)  We used up our 2oz of bubble bath in about 5 bathtimes. Which I was happy with!
  
I tested the shampoo first as a body wash. I figure if I don't like it on my hands, why put it on my hair?! That's just kind of a general rule I've been applying lately. It seems to work! Anyway, My True Nature 2-in-1 Shampoo and Body Wash passed the test!  I decided to try it first on Q after an oil treatment. It had been a long time since we let her hair really soak in some coconut oil! 


After letting the coconut oil sit on her hair for about 30-60 minutes (while she happily played and did whatever she felt like doing) we washed! I just loooooove the feel of our hair after a pre-poo! I will say, though, that the 2-in-1 Shampoo did not remove all the oils from Q's hair. Which is good to know! This shampoo works better for us as a stand-alone shampoo, not so much in conjunction with a pre-poo oil treatment because it is gentle and doesn't strip the hair of the good natural oils that should be there. 

Another thing that sold me on My True Nature products is this Ingredient Article. WOW! Gotta love an upfront company, and one that is interested in educating the public, not pulling the wool over our eyes!


Now for the Curly Hairdo Ideas ingredient test:
    (in case you're unfamiliar with the Environmental Working Group - I refer to their toxicity rating system a lot! I just like it :)  Anyway, they rate from 1-10 with 1 being the lowest hazard, and 10 being the highest. Personally I only use products that have ingredients in the 1-3 range!)



INGREDIENTS:
sodium coco-sulfate** (natural plant-based cleansing & foaming agent)
decyl glucoside (and) sodium lauroyl lactylate blend* (natural plant-based foaming & cleansing agent)
disodium coco-glucoside tartrate* (natural plant-based cleansing agent non-irritating to eyes)
            - I'd never heard of any of the ingredients listed above and couldn't find much information about them either, part of me hesitates at that, and the other part says - "They haven't made it to the black lists yet!" lol  And I do acknowledge that many research groups don't bother doing much with natural products (especially if they seem safe and uneventful) because there is no money in that business-wise.  However, My True Nature has a blurb on their website about these ingredients:


Our sodium coco-sulfate comes from pure certified organic coconut oil.  It is extremely natural & mild. (Note: Despite the similar-sounding names, sodium coco-sulfate is in no way related to sodium laureth sulfate which is an ingredient used in conventional mainstream products that has been found to be a skin irritant and in some cases, carcinogenic. See list of “Ingredients to Avoid,” below,)

We also use decyl glucoside, sodium lauroyl lactylate and disodium coco-glucoside. 
·       Decyl glucoside is made from a reaction of vegetable oil and sugar. 
·       Sodium lauroyl lactylate is made from the sodium salt of lactic acid.
·       Disodium coco-glucoside tartrate is made from natural vegetable glucose and coconut fatty alcohol. 
                     These raw materials are certified by ECOCERT!
 
glycerin (vegetable) - EWG gives this ingredient a hazard toxicity rating of 2. If it did not have "vegetable" in the name, if it was just "glycerin" then we'd have a problem! When used by itself "Glycerin" usually means petrochemical!
silk amino acid - rated a 0 by the EWG, however, there are 100% data gaps, which mean that there hasn't been any definitive testing done yet. At least not that is available through the cosmeticsdatabase.com  If you're like me and want to know what exactly silk amino acids are, read this article! (Here's the short version: 
Silk amino acids give the skin a very soft and velvety feel when used in a cosmetic product, and have some excellent water-binding properties. Silk amino acids (silk proteins) also have a certain amount of antioxidant action.)
and then you can buy some Here. LOL!
          Note: on the page where you can purchase your own amino acids, it says that there is a preservative in them. Makes me wonder what all they feel they can put in our stuff without telling us, huh?! Scary. Anyway, there's apparently a preservative in all silk amino acids.
panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5) - EWG rating of 2.
olea europaea (olive) oil* - EWG rating of 1.
guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride (guar gum) - EWG rating of 1.
modified corn starch - EWG rating of 0 - with 100% data gaps.  I did find an article that suggested if a person is sensitive to gluten, that they should try to avoid modified corn starch (it is also found in many packaged foods, yogurt, etc.)
leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate (natural preserving agent) - EWG rating of 0 - data gaps.
citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil* - EWG rating of 2. with concerns of cancer, among other considerations. I have heard that grapefruit seed extract is something to not be trusted because of the process of making it, and what "they" are allowed to add to it without telling us. I wonder if the peel oil falls in the same category?
myristica fragrans (nutmeg) oil* - depending on whether this oil is meant as the seed oil or the kernel oil, the EWG rates this ingredient as a 1 or 0.
citric acid - EWG rated this one as a 2 or 3 depending on the usage.
aloe barbadensis leaf juice* - EWG rates this as a 1. with concerns about reproductive toxicity.
plantago lanceolata (plantain) leaf extract* - EWG rated as a 0 for 100% data gaps.
camellia sinensis (white tea) extract** - EWG rates this ingredient as a 2.
leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate (natural preserving agent) - EWG gives it a 0 for data gaps. Apparently it's antimicrobial!
litsea cubeba fruit essential oil* - not on EWG. But HERE's some info!
mentha piperita (peppermint) oil* - EWG rates it a 2, with cancer concerns.
Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil - EWG rates it a 2, with use restrictions.
Cymbopogon flexuosus (Lemongrass) Oil  - Read all about lemongrass on motherherb.com!


Final thoughts? 

My brain hurts. lol  It usually does after so much thinking and research! How do college kids do it, anyway?! But seriously - I think there are quite a few ingredients with a rating - but I absolutely LOVE that none, not a single ingredient, went up over the 3 mark. And many of the ingredients are essential oils which have very interesting medicinal qualities as well. So all that must be balanced and taken into consideration when deciding what products to use on your baby! and yourself!

Also, anything with a scent will most likely have estrogen-qualities. Which is fine, as long as we don't overdose! So when I'm deciding which products (if any) to use, I try to look at our lifestyle as a whole as well. What kind of toothpaste, detergent, fabric softener, handsoap, lotion, etc, am I using on a daily basis?? If I am using many of these things, they often all have their own fragrances and issues! lol, so we balance and try to cut back on the exposure (isn't it curious how much infertility there is these days?! Check out some ingredients on regular lotion or shampoo bottles - and just SEE how many have reproductive warnings by the EWG. It's almost scary!) However, I do feel that natural essential oils are by far the best choice when it comes to adding scents. They have so many additional qualities beyond just smelling good, too!
Overall, I'm happy with these products! I feel they performed well and Q loved the bubbles!

As with any product, I will continue to vary our routine and not use the same product all the time. I feel it is good to take many things in moderation! :-)

Thank you, Kelly, for creating this trustworthy product line - and with such adorable creatures to entertain our little ones! (Seeing Milo on the bottle was the final straw that convinced Q she really did want a bath that first night we tried the products! lol)

For further reading, here are some other site's reviews of My True Nature:




Urban Baby
Daily Candy

For more information about bubble baths and kids, read on:
Dr. Greene
Kids Growth

So enjoy the bubbles and don't forget to Rinse!!! :D

What are you waiting for?! You know you've never seen Bubble Bath like this before!

When you order from My True Nature in the month of March 2011, use the code FRIENDS and receive 20% off your entire order!! How cool is that!?

 

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...