Frizz Control

"I still haven’t found any answer to the question on how to keep the frizz at bay, and especially during our extremely hot summers this is a huge problem. Can you help?" 
                  (Special thanks to Olivia for this question! Check out her guest post on Curly Hairdo Ideas HERE ~she's a great writer!~, or head over to her Birthing Blog HERE! -- don't miss "Q's Homebirth Story" lol)


Frizz. Well, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know it all! But in my own experience, the frizzier Q's hair is - the dryer it is. So for us, keeping the frizzies at bay means making sure her hair stays hydrated. 

Daily, I like to get her hair wet, detangle it with my fingers and a wide tooth comb, and then cover it with a thin layer of Unrefined Shea Butter. (Tip :) - breathe some hot air on it to make it go on smoother and thinner! lol)  I find that the shea butter keeps her curls defined and helps her hair retain moisture - therefore keeping it frizz free. Plus it's natural and healthy and contains no sulfates, parabens, -cones, or other hair and body damaging chemicals or preservatives!

I also recently tried some Original Sprout products (check out our reviews - Detangler Review, Shampoo and Conditioner Review, and Leave In Conditioner Review, again!) and I quite liked the Leave In Conditioner as a detangler and as a leave in product to reduce frizz and keep her curls looking curly.

Occasionally, I like to give Q's curls a "deep condition" or "coconut oil treatment." I douse her wet (best with warm water to open the cuticles) hair in organic coconut oil, sometimes adding olive oil as well, and let it sit for a few hours while she plays (or overnight). It leaves her hair so soft after we wash it out! Ahhhh! No frizz after that much moisture!

Also - there's the die-hard summer trend of updo's if your hair/child's hair is long enough. Wearing hair up will often keep you cooler in the warm summer months, as well as protect the hair from wind (which can cause tangles!). Just be sure to vary your parts and be careful not to pull the hair too tight!


And now, for just another one of my "love yourself" soapboxes! ........ As long as you are learning and taking care of your hair so you know that your frizziness isn't caused by neglect - Don't be afraid to Embrace The Frizz!  Let's face it - curly hair can be frizzy sometimes! and that's OK! Find styles and ways to wear your frizzy hair that accent it and make you feel confident. You can love your hair no matter its current state of frizz!!


What do you do for FRIZZ?? Share your tips, tidbits and other thoughts in the comments, please!!

Comments

  1. Coconut oil works well for us. Just a very small bit spread through her hair keeps it un-frizzed. I use it in my own hair too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think your paragraph at the end is the key for us - sometimes our hair is frizzy, and that is OK! We have ordered shea butter online and are waiting for it to get to us. I look forward to trying it, but I am worried that things will go the opposite way, and DD's hair will be oily instead. The same happened with coconut oil. We'll use it in facial creams instead if it doesn't work for the hair!

    Totally unrelated - if I send you a picture of a very complicated historical hairdo, will you know how to recreate it? :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! Enjoy the frizz! Might as well, right? :)

    I'll be curious to know what you think of the Shea Butter. I should say, too, that I ONLY put it on DD's ends. I do NOT use it on the top half (straighter parts) of her hair - it would be much too heavy for that. I only use it on her curly curls. :) And I breathe on it to soften it so it doesn't go on so thick. I've also heard of whipped shea butter recipes - those would be worth checking into!

    oooh! I don't know! I'd sure have fun trying though - please send the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, thanks for that extra tip! I will do that, and I will send you some pictures! I'll send you an email with the hairdo I want to recreate (this one's for ME, not for the kid!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome! OK! I'm looking forward to the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzE6yANB_4U&feature=related

    If you go to 4 minutes, 8 seconds, you will briefly see the hairdo I want to receate. I got the hairpin and everything - just don't know how to do it. I realize the picture is a bit too vague, but it is the best I got.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 4:08 = as in, the very very end? Yeah! That is a hard picture! I can try some ideas, I guess and see if you like any of them. Are there any other shots of her hair throughout the video?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - I love hearing from you!

(If you have trouble leaving a comment, please email me at curlyhairdoideas@yahoo.com and let me know! I don't want anything getting lost out here in cyber-space! lol)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...